Monday, April 21, 2008

Mid-life Monday


Just got done boring people with a techie lecture in DMF. Deal with it, young 'uns. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to sing End of the Party by the English Beat. My voice sucks, so I'm at a disadvantage. Saw the English Beat on Friday which was pleasurable. I appreciated Dave Wakeling's middle-aged man physique and chatty affability. The man writes some seriously fine pop music and has a fabulous sexy croonin' voice. And cripes, he's 51. Anyhow, was more than passing strange, as I saw them when I was a Junior in high school. Yes, children, t'was down in Berkeley at the Greek Theater one of those transcendent moments of youth you start to miss a bit as the years tick by. ("The last time I saw you was down at the Greeks. There was whiskey on Sunday and tears on our cheeks"--The Pogues)
Speaking of which, I've been noticing that I have a hard time differentiating the last 4 years. It all seems to flood together. And so I propose a new formula: 4 middle-aged man years = one college-kid year. So, the next 40 years of my life will feel like 10 college kid years. Then I'll be 80. That kind of sucks. Of course, you can die any time before you get to 80, so, best case scenario--we're talking 10 college-kid years to. 5 college-kid years til I'm 60. @#$%%ing mortality is lame. 
Of course, even this formula is a bit too rosy, because it assumes middle-aged man years remain constant. I'm betting old guy years are probably more like 5 or 6 to 1. *&#%@!

1 comment:

Kelly Hudgins said...

Oh, child, just wait til you're fifty. That's all I'm saying....

Kelly H