Sunday, February 10, 2008

Up mit People

I'm looking forward to seeing all of my "concept" work up in one place. I'm not sure why that is. I'm not a slick commercial "concept artist" who renders out industrial sci-fi machinery and anatomically correct triceps (though God knows, I've tried.). I suppose it's because I'm realizing I've spent a lot of my life using drawing as a way of thinking and feeling. And when I see these desperate little scuff marks on the paper it feels like me. It feels like who I really am. My students think I'm some weird, muttering, disorganized bald guy, my colleagues think I'm scheming to wreck their lives, and my neighbors think I'm a lazy oddball with a shitty yard and crappy beat up cars bringing down their property values. But really, I'm just a guy excited about thinking and drawing things. Kind of like a 5th-rate, irrelevant Hokusai (who apparently described himself late in life as "an old man crazy about drawing."). Yeah. I think that's it.
p.s. this drawing was a concept for Arms and Ether.
p.p.s. still haven't found the USEM papers. #%*@!

No comments: