Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wow. I can't believe it.


I've attained a peak geek experience. This is hard to believe, but I just wrote an original piece of ActionScript code that worked. IT WORKED, DO YOU HEAR ME? It worked. I'm stunned. I'm absolutely flabbergasted. This is the same feeling I had the first time I drew someone's face and it kind of sort of looked like them. OMFG. I don't even know what to say. Actually, I did prepare a little speech. Never good to be caught off guard for a big moment like this.

"I'd like to thank the Academy, and all the people that helped me along the way. Thank you Scott, thank you Christian Andy, thank you Nick and Galen with your logical ways. Thank you Math teachers of 25 years ago. Thank you India. Thank you Indians. Thank you Alanis."

Well, guess I'll keep going. Ride that wave.

p.s. It's a piece of code that randomizes direction of a computer-controlled sprite by generating a random number between 1 & 72 12 times per second. If the number is a 1 it changes direction 45 deg. to the right, if it's a 2 it changes 45 deg. to the left. By my calculation, the sprite has a 33% per second chance of changing direction one way or the other. I even troubleshot it to check for out of range direction values. Condescending pat on the head, please, real programmers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miles,
Congrats. It looks like Arms & Ether come to life.